Rosie's Rum Shack

Monday, June 21, 2010
10:50 AM
[ 1 comments ]

Listening to: Oh! -- Girl's Generation
Mood: Excited

This weekend I went to Sargent with my family. Sargent is a small town, it's mainly houses that are built around the ocean and the strip of ocean water that streams in the land. My grandparents have property along this strip (it's like a big river, just salt water) and my uncle right next to us. There isn't really signal for anything that requires it like wireless computer's, cell phones (I got one bar every once in awhile in one place), and even those portable TVs (The only channels we got were Spanish channels).

I had fun, and to be honest it was nice not to be surrounded by technology. It was a quiet place, the only sounds I could hear was the water rushing by and the seagulls that flew over. On my grandparent's property there's a little beach shack that is called "Rosie's Rum Shack," Rosie being my grandmother's nickname. It has a wooden bench inside, along with a few plastic chairs, two straw-like chairs, and two tables also made out of wood in this shack. I would say it is slightly smaller than a normal sized room with the middle section just made out of windows to keep the ocean breeze floating through to keep it cool inside. Screening covered the open space to keep majority of the insects out, once a while a fly or two flew in when the door was open at the smell of the food when it was out. But it was my favorite place during the weekend. The only thing else on the property was an old RV that held a bathroom, a really small kitchen and a place to sleep.

The whole weekend I lounged inside the rum shack on the bench which had cushions that were added once we arrived. It was placed in the back corner by a small side table, and read the day away. Kira, my older cousin, did pretty much the same but in long of the straw-made chairs that was big enough to fit two people. Inside the shack the humidity wasn't to much of a bother. It was nice just being outside (to an extent) reading in a relaxing atmosphere without worrying about being sun burned.

But it wasn't just relaxation, Kira and I helped her father build a deck for about an hour. Our main job was pulling very long pieces of wood out the pile (which were in the very back making it difficult to get to). But these pieces of foot were easily 12 ft long, they were probably longer than that. It wasn't to hard though, my arms weren't sore the next day which was a good sign.

The only problem I had was the first night when I was trying to sleep. The RV was hotter inside than it was outside, my grandfather turned on the AC to attempt to keep it cool but it wasn't working after a certain point in time in the night. It kept making sounds as if it was having troubles turning on reminding me of a car coughing to turn on after the key was turned. It got so incredible hot and humid while I slept on the couch. The small blanket I had on I had to kick off because I sweating like no other. I kept waking up every hour wiping sweat away from my forehead and face to the point I just wanted to strip down to my underwear but I knew I couldn't because 1) my brother was sleeping on the floor, 2) my grandparents were sleeping in the other room and if I overslept than that would NOT be good. So eventually around 5:30 in the morning I just stayed up, changed out of my into a light flowing dress, listened to some music until the sun came up and began reading my novel.

But I relatively had a good time (though when we returned home I never thought I would want a shower so bad before). I saw two soccer matches for the FIFA World Cup in the Spanish channel. Denmark won their match which I'm really pleased with but the only probably is that Denmark vs. Japan in their next match and I'm unsure of who to cheer for since I rooting for both of them.

What am I going to do? ~_~

1 Comments:

At June 22, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Blogger Resha said...

Aww that sounds really nice! I've always wanted to go to a place like that. In the middle of no where, surrounded by nature. Glad you enjoyed yourself so much! Mind sharing what you've been reading? =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home